What you’ll learn
- How to install and set up gradle (on both Mac and Windows) with it’s prerequisites (Java, Homebrew for the Mac)
- How to work with Gradle in an IDE like Eclipse
- Create basic tasks in Gradle, get familiar with commands like DoFirst and DoLast
- Learn how to manage dependencies in Gradle build Scripts
- Learn Lifecycle Tasks with the base plug in
- Learn how to work with variables, lists, maps, getters and setters and the shortcut notation
- Install and Setup Groovy with Eclipse
- Use Variable, Loops, Lists and Maps in Groovy
- Learn how to use the Gradle Wrapper and Build Scans
- Logging and File Management in Gradle
- Build Java and Android Apps with Gradle (use Android Studio)
- Practice plugins with the Jacoco plug in
- An Internet connection
- Basic knowledge of Java is nice to have but not mandatory
- A working Computer with either Windows/MacOS
- A desire to learn!
- Knowledge of Groovy is nice to have, but we will teach you what you need
Whether you are a college student looking for a way to build your code(for free) or an industry professional looking for a one stop shop to build your project or an upgrade from Maven. Gradle can handle everything from file management to build scans to integration with Continuous Integration Platforms like TeamCity.
You will get a quick grasp on Gradle. It is one of the best build automation tools out there, with the ability to write fast and highly customizable builds in Groovy or Kotlin.
The course is divided into sections, each independently forms a module and a course in itself. Each section is backed up by quizzes and assignments to keep you on track. Whether you are a college student looking to get some experience with automated builds or a professional looking for a tool to build and test code you will find what you need here. Everything is well documented and separated, so you can find what you need.
The Install and SetUp of Gradle
We will sign up and install java and HomeBrew(for the Mac). Then Mac users will install Gradle using HomeBrew while Windows users will use a manual installation process. Each step will be covered clearly so you have no doubts along the way. Then we will see how to use Gradle in an IDE like Eclipse and even run a couple of tasks from Eclipse. At this point we will give you an overview of what Gradle is.
Install and Setup Groovy on Eclipse. Move on to learning Groovy basics like Maps, Lists and Loops. Also checkout how to use Groovy from the Command Line.
The Basics of Gradle
What will you be leaning in this section:
· Do First and Do Last commands
· Use Loops and Operators
· Use Dependencies in build scripts
· Master Lifecycle tasks with the base plug in
· Learn how to use project level variables
· How to work with local variables
· How to use shortcut notation
· The basics of lists and maps
· Use Gradle Wrapper
· Create Build Scans
Logging and File Management in Gradle
Learn how to use different types and levels of Logging in Gradle. Learn how to copy, move,zip and unzip files.
Build Apps with Gradle
Practice everything we have learnt. Meanwhile also learn how to setup Gradle with Android Studio and create and build Java apps. End the course by learning about the Jacoco Plug in.
Who this course is for:
- Students trying to get a quick grasp of Gradle and Groovy
- Professionals looking to use Gradle for their Builds and DevOps Cycle
- Developers who have used another tool(like Maven) to build repositories and are now looking to move over to Gradle
- Devs looking to use Groovy for writing their build scripts